Saturday, January 1, 2011

Get out of town.

This happened yesterday and since I'm still sneaking around the house trying to do this without Red Robe noticing its a bit challenging.  Good news is, she leaves for a week on Monday!  Remember the f-up with flights on Christmas?  She's re-booked and is visiting my brother for a week.  I can't wait to see how well he does with her.  Don't get me wrong, I love the fact that she helps with the kids.  I just don't feel the "help" is offsetting all the other issues...

So my little Aspie came into our bedroom at 5:30AM yesterday and here was our conversation:
Alex:  Mom! Mom!  Guess what?
Me:    What? (Secretly thinking: this had better be good)
Alex:  My tooth fell out! (super-excited)
Me:    Get out of town, really??
Alex:  Mom, we're in town.  My tooth fell out.  Why did you say that?

So there we were at 5:30 in the morning working on analogies and how what people say might mean something else or may have a different meaning entirely. 


Now, I was up most of the night last night with Gracie, who is very unsuccessfully trying to break in her top tooth, and do you think in all that time I could have remembered to put four quarters under Alex's pillow?  Yes, the Tooth Fairy is a tight wad in our house.  And nope, not a frigging chance.  I totally forgot.  I didn't remember until he came into our room at 5:30 AM (again) and we had this little conversation:

Alex:  Mooom?? (all worried, bottom lip quivering)
Me:    Yeah baby? (seriously, again?)
Alex:  There seems to be a bit of a problem...the Tooth Fairy forgot about my tooth...      
Me:    I said nothing.  Except the phrase: shit, shit, shit was rolling through my mind.
Hubby: Alex, I think the Tooth Fairy simply forgot and he will come tonight.
Alex:   Really? OK.  Can I play computer???

Now, two things:
First--if this were my daughter she would have totally flipped out, saw stars, sobbed like she just lost a tiara.  It would have been unforgiven, unconscionable.  But because Alex is so literal he took what we said for fact and moved on.  Moved on.  This is one of the blessings of our Aspie--he's so rooted in fact, he took what we said at face value and went with it.  There are downsides to this, trust me, but right now we took advantage of it.  In the light of day what we did now seems wrong...

Second--ever since we saw one of the Tim Allen Santa Clause movies, where the Tooth Fairy is a man, he has changed sexes in our house and she has become a he.   I can already see a discussion on gender identity in my future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me all squishy but remember to be nice. If you're not nice then what you said goes *poof.* There's your warning.