Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Squared vs Square Root. I don't know the difference either.

On Sunday night we get a weekly class update from Alex's teacher.  I normally glance at it and see what's going on for the next week.  Then I print it out, show it to Alex and get confirmation that he's read it.  Then I get confirmation that he's understood it.  And then get confirmation that he knows what's really going on for the next week.

And then I use four pieces of tape and tape that damn thing up on the wall so I don't forget and he doesn't forget.

That weekly newsletter is my lifeline.

So little alarm bells went off in my head when I saw the words: TALENT SHOW THURSDAY.  I immediately asked Alex what it was all about and he wasn't fussed.  A little annoyed that I was asking about it, I think.

You know me, I couldn't let it rest.  I had to find out, these things tend to blow up in my face.  *See the Muffins With Mom's post if you don't believe me.*

"Hey Alex, it says there will be a Talent Show on Thursday.  What are you going to do?"  I was getting a little worked up because he was more interested in his computer game.

"Mom, I have it all figured out.  I know what I'm going to do."  And he went back to his game.

Pffft.

Clearly I had to get a little more creative.  "Alex honey, do you think you could tell me what you're planning on doing for the talent show?  Maybe I can help you."

My panties were in a total bunch about this damn talent show and I was going to find out what he was doing.

"Well no mom, you can't help me.  It has to do with math and you're not good at math.  I'm going to explain the difference between square roots and squaring a number.  Take the number nine.  Nine squared is eighty-one but the square root of nine is three.  See the difference?  Then I'm going to take questions and they can quiz me.  It's math and it's going to be fun."

Someone give me the answers.....please?!?  

To which I found my calculator, figured out he was right and said, "You're right, I'm not good at math."

And Thursday, I was in the classroom and I saw him do his talent and he explained the difference between squared and square roots and he had fun with it.

No, he rocked it.

The other kids and I, we didn't have a fucking clue what he was talking about but he was having fun.

No, he had the time of his life.



OMG, OMG, OMG, you totally have to go over to Sunday's place tomorrow.  I'm so going to be guest posting.   I'm going to be guest posting at Adventures in Extreme Parenthood!!!!  OMG, OMG, OMG!!!





I may have to wear a Poise and use it, I'm so excited.  And I think she even kept my cuss words in.  *Swoon.*   


There, now I'm done begging.  I must go and hook on Facebook...yes, that's you're cue to go "like" me, so you can see me at Sunday's tomorrow!!!  See how I did that?  That was awesome....

21 comments:

  1. I love your son. Can he come over and do math with mine?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I never thought about this square thing. Your son is very smart! Maybe he could explain geometry to me? I don't get that, either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't get it either. I was happy to have him explain it to me and not get a quiz at the end.

      Delete
  3. Wow. You've got a little genius in the making. I'm kinda jealous. We're still using the number line over here.

    You're not going to talk about your crabs over at Sunday's place, are you? It's a respectable place, you gotta put on nice clothes and comb your hair. But crabs or not, I'll be there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No crabs--you know those damn things are still alive. I can't kill them. Sigh. Give you a hint though---computer games.....

      Delete
  4. I just love that your son figured out exactly what his talent was and was totally confident in showing it off to others. And I love how he said you can't help him. (I wouldn't have been able to either!) This is such a heartwarming post. Made my day!

    And Yay! for posting on Sunday's blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That rocks :) Square what.. not so good at math either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know!!! I had to actually use my brain a bit when he first was talking about it!!!

      Delete
  6. I Alex available for tutoring? I still count on my fingers to add.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too!!! I let him figure out how much tax is on a bill and all sorts of other stuff. He usually gets it right. I am always amazed by him.

      Delete
  7. That is so hilarious. I love how he was cool as a cucumber about it. And I love that he recognized it as a talent that he has.

    See you at Sunday's tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was totally cool about it!!! I was so impressed. He was all, "what's the point of bouncing a basketball when you can do math...."

      Delete
  8. This just made my day. I am so in love with your kid right now. GO ALEX!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Alex is a rock star!! That paper with the math on it made my head dizzy! And now, look at you all hobnobbing it with Sunday and Ryan... Sheesh, your whole family is famous now. Remember us little people please. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bwahhhhh!!!!! Karen you crack me up. You are hardly little and are one of my best bloggy buds. <3

      Delete
  10. He may know squares and square roots, but I bet he couldn't balance my checkbook. Unless he has extensive experience with negative integers.

    (Can an integer even BE negative?? I don't know, I'm just trying to sound smart. Ask Alex, he'll know. And I don't mean that in a sarcastic kind of way. I am seriously, seriously impressed.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I see a math teacher in the making.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah, bless him!! Well done Alex! Not only did he rock it he coped with an extra activity and worked on his piece :-)

    xx Jazzy

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me all squishy but remember to be nice. If you're not nice then what you said goes *poof.* There's your warning.