Monday, February 14, 2011

Litany of Logic

My little Aspie has been testing his limits lately.  It has to do with our morning routine and how he wants to play his I-touch before all our morning stuff is done.  Our routine is, as stands:
  • we get dressed
  • eat breakfast
  • brush teeth
  • get backpack/lunch ready and then and only then the
  • little electronic wonder can be turned on.   

Here's the rub---Alex likes oatmeal for breakfast.  Whole grain Quaker Oats.   Not the instant stuff in packets, or the one minute stuff.  We're talking full on, straight up oat off the plant oatmeal.  The kind that takes forever to make. 

Anyway, Alex decides because he has some downtime while he's waiting for breakfast, he's perfectly justifiable in a little play time.  Normally I would agree.  His little Vulcan-like logic is usually spot on.  But the problem is this: once that damn thing it goes on he gets sucked in a little time warp and he can't break free.  So no, the I-touch can not be touched until all the morning stuff is done.  Period.

And here's where the litany of logic ensues and a great debate happens every morning.  We go back and forth on the whys and how comes and how I got to be in charge in the first place.  He's not trying to be rude, mind you, just trying to back me in a corner (or wear me down) till I can see the logic of his point of view and cave to his version of reality. 

Now if you're in a hurry just skip to the next paragraph.  This is something that took me, like five years to figure out.  Heck, I'm still trying to remind myself of this one.  Read this nice and slowly and reread again if you have to cause it may save you like, an eternity of banging your head against the wall.  Or in my case five years.

He can't see my reality and what angle I'm coming from.  At all.  All he can see is what he's thinking.  It would never occur to him to look at anything from someone else's point of view.  He thinks we all think exactly like him. 

That's it.  Did you get it?? 

Just like it would never occur to him to ask for help--with anything.  Why would you?  If you can't figure something out, everyone else is having the same problem, right?  Right??

If I say no to him he simply can not compute and then tries to convince me of how it's not his fault that the oatmeal is not ready and he should not be held accountable for the microwave working too slow, mommy not getting in enough coffee...   

So if you want to know what I'm doing say around 7:30 tomorrow morning, I'll be in a very heated discussion about oatmeal and the I-touch. 

Wish me luck!



I'm still deciding if she's mocking or encouraging me...



As an update, I caved and let him have it while the oatmeal was cooking.  The rest of the morning went to hell in a hand basket.  

2 comments:

  1. OHMYGOSH you are hilarious! I'm so glad you found me so I could in turn find YOU! Adding you to my google reader right now. :-)

    And thx for your comment about our move. It's nice to know other people understand...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, thanks--keep me updated on the move---its one of the most stressful things you can do, I think. I'm here if you need a boost or a laugh--L

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me all squishy but remember to be nice. If you're not nice then what you said goes *poof.* There's your warning.