Sunday, February 20, 2011

Playing with shells

It was nice out yesterday so I turfed the kids on the back deck to play.  Naturally I'm thinking they're going to dig up my dead potted plants, scrape out rotted deck boards, smash bugs, something.  Nope, not my kids.  This is what I find:



Alex went out and sorted seashells on the deck furniture. 

I'm always curious as to why he does what he does.  So I asked him.  Here's his answer:  "I first arranged all the deck furniture from biggest to smallest in a circular pattern and then I categorized shells based on size, not color.  I had to block Gracie out so that's why the big table is not where it should be.  It doesn't count."  Duh. 

He didn't actually say Duh but he was looking at me like I was a moron so I added it so you can get the full effect.  I'm nice that way.

Anyway, I had to take a picture of it and share because it's so representative of Alex and how his mind works.  Aside from the few shells that are out of line, I don't know what happened there, it's him.   

So precise.

So beautiful. 

So Alex.

4 comments:

  1. Hello, I saw your comment on Laura's blog and thought I'd pop by, check out your blog and say Hi!!
    I'm an adult aspie with dyslexia. Both my children are on the spectrum and my Dad is diagnosed with Autism.
    I really like what Alex did with the sea shells. It's so very beautiful. I remember doing very similar things as a child. I used to line ball-bearings up and use them in so many ways. I could get them to spin so fast on a circular tray.
    I'm glad I found your blog.
    Love and hugs. xx :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!! It's nice to meet you! I'm going to pop over and visit you right after this.
    Ball bearings, that's too cool---Alex loves marbles but I had to limit them with the baby in the house.
    I love how his mind works, makes me smile. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that. My son is an Aspie too and he'd have had that same look to let me know I was some type of dumb parent not to get it but he actually does say DUH! to me. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi C...! Yeah, we're working on some social skills with the "duh" bit.. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me all squishy but remember to be nice. If you're not nice then what you said goes *poof.* There's your warning.